Whether you are a beginner or an experienced marketer, you may want to know which platform, either Facebook or Instagram, is better to start your social media campaign. After all, Advertising on Facebook can be expensive. You need to invest in the right advertising on the right platform to get the maximum benefit. Both platforms are perfect for advertising. But would it be better to start the campaign on social media on one or both?
Let’s find out!
Brand Engagement Instagram vs Facebook
Did you know that three million businesses are actively Advertising on Facebook? Although many users like or follow a FB Business page, only 32% of them regularly communicate with brands on Facebook by sharing content, leaving comments, and asking questions.
The situation is a little better on Instagram. For marketing purposes, 70.7 percent of US businesses use Instagram. Many have created Instagram profiles and advertise regularly. Also, 80% of users follow a company on Instagram, and 68% communicate with brands regularly.
Although Facebook has less brand exposure, over 8 billion videos are viewed daily. Instagram, on the other hand, is great for photos. Therefore, it is better to invest in Facebook video ads and Instagram photo ads.
Advertising on Facebook & Instagram | Audience Targeting
Facebook may not be the best social media platform when it comes to customer engagement, but since it is one of the oldest and most popular social media platforms, it has a huge impact worldwide.
Instagram, on the other hand, has a smaller audience. Statistics show that while both men and women use Instagram, neither gender nor all age groups are equally active. Sometimes the largest audience on Instagram is men and women between the ages of 18 and 34.
Ease of Use for Mobile Devices
If you want to advertise, it does not matter on Facebook which device you use and how you access the platform. On Instagram, however, you have to do everything through an application.
Research now shows that 95.1% of active user accounts have access to Facebook via smartphones, 31.8% via laptops and desktops, and only 8.8% via tablets. Instagram has almost no access to the platform via laptops and computers. It’s most accessible via smartphone or tablet.
Types of Ads
Is Facebook a better online advertising platform than Instagram?
If you look at the Facebook Ads Guide, you will find that there are many types of ads available on Facebook. You can choose from the following ads types:
- Video ads: Recommended videos for up to 15 seconds with text.
- Display ads – A striking image with a compelling message.
- Collective Ads – A cover image or video followed by certain product images.
- Carousel ads: You can present up to 10 images (or videos) in a single ad, each with a link.
- Slideshow: Video-like ads that use movement, sound, and text to tell your story.
- Facebook Instant Experiences/Canvas Ads – Mobile-optimized ads that show all your videos, photos, carousels, and product images in one ad.
- Lead Gen Ads – Gather information about users.
- Offer Ads: With this option, you can create and expand discounts and promotions that suit your target audience at the right time.
- Run engagement ads/optimized posts – Help share information about your business with users.
- Reply Event Notifications – Helps you notify events.
- Page Like – Can be used to get your audience to like your Facebook page.
What about Instagram? Can Instagram also offer you a large number of ads?
There are only four types of ads to choose from on Instagram:
- Photo ads: Allows you to display your products through images.
- Video ads: can be up to 60 seconds long.
- Carousel ads – Users can browse up to ten images or videos, each with a CTA button that links them to your site.
- Story Ads – Full-screen ads where you can share photos and videos with your audience.
There are fewer types of ads on Instagram than on Facebook. Instagram still has something to offer. Let’s take a closer look at Stories Ads.
Did you know that stories are better than flow ads? Instagram stories have a 23% higher conversion rate than feed ads and 78% more clicks. Because story ads are versatile, they give you a lot of room for creativity.
Facebook vs. Instagram Cost
How much do Facebook ads cost? Are they expensive?
Any social media marketing campaign is expensive. Advertising on Facebook is not cheap. Although the average cost-per-click (CPC) is just $ 0.27, and the cost-per-thousand-impressions (CPM) is $7.19, many factors can affect the cost of your ads.
- Advertising targets
- Type and amount of offer
- Ad quality
- Your business
Advertising on Instagram is not cheaper. The average CPC is $ 1.41, and the CPM $ 7.91. But, the cost of ads is affected by many factors, from your audience to your ad feedback.
Which ads should I invest in on which of the two platforms?
It depends on the business and what you want to achieve with the campaign. Here’s a tip: Get to know each type of ad and invest in the ads that best fit your current strategy. Some types of ads work better on one platform and others work better on the other (such as photo and video ads). You can also reach millennia on Instagram and older generations on Facebook. There are many options and strategies you can use.